This gorgeous main course tart is made with filo pastry brushed with melted butter – filled with oven-roasted British vine tomatoes with wilted spinach, mozzarella and basil.
Prepare: 25 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 12 British Medium Vine tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 200g young spinach, washed
- 270g pack filo pastry sheets
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 x 125g mozzarella balls, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 150ml single cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Put the tomatoes into a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes, then cool.
- Put the spinach into a colander and slowly pour a kettleful of boiling water over it to wilt the leaves. Leave to cool.
- Unroll the sheets of filo pastry. Brush each one with melted butter and stack them one on top of the other on a large greased baking sheet, criss-crossing them as you layer them. Gather and scrunch the edges, bring them together to form a border.
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the spinach, then arrange on the tart with the tomatoes and mozzarella. Beat the eggs and single cream together and season with salt and pepper. Pour into the tart case. Bake for 20-25 minutes until set and golden. Serve, garnished with basil leaves.